U.S. Embassy Rabat
سفارة الولايات الأمريكية بالرباط
Human Resources Office
Vacancy Announcement TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 12-50
The U.S. Embassy in Rabat is seeking an individual for the Translator / Interpreter position
OPEN TO: ALL INTERESTED CANDIDATES
POSITION: TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER, FSN-9, FP-5*
OPENING DATE: Tuesday, October 2, 2012
CLOSING DATE: Tuesday, October 16, 2012
WORK HOURS: Part-time, 20 hours/week
Not-Ordinarily Resident: $50,043 p.a. (Starting Salary based on 40 hours)
(Position Grade: FP-5 following confirmation by Washington)
Ordinarily Resident: Gross Salary DH 241,379 p.a. (Starting Salary based on 40 hours per week including allowances, competitive bonus and benefits package. U.S. Mission will withhold from your gross salary employee’s portion of the CNSS and CIMR contributions, health/life/disability insurance contributions as well as all tax obligations as imposed by the US and/or host country governments)
(Position Grade: FSN-09)
NOTE: ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
The U.S. Embassy in Rabat is seeking an individual for the Translator/Interpreter position.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
The incumbent is the primary French, English and Arabic language translator and interpreter for the Embassy.
Provides interpretation services to Ambassador and Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM) in Arabic and French to meet the needs in all scenarios, in a wide variety of subject matter. May occasionally be called to serve as an interpreter for meetings between officers and host government or private sector individuals as necessary. As necessary interprets during meetings for political or economic officers with host government officials or private
sector individuals. Also serves as back-up Protocol Assistant when required.
NOTE:All applicants must meet all qualifications and provide supporting documentation for each criterion below.
Age: Per Moroccan Law, Ordinarily Resident applicants must be less than 60 years old.
Education: BA degree in interpretation or translation from an accredited institution is required.
Experience: 5 years experience in translation and interpretation from English into French and or Arabic and vice versa, ability to use a word processor and prepare correspondence in final form is required.
Language: Level 5 (fluency) in English, Arabic and French is required.
Familiarity with organization and function of the Moroccan government and foreign diplomatic missions is required.
Familiarity with diplomatic and consular terminology as well as technical vocabulary in economic, military affairs, legal issues, agriculture and scientific fields is required.
Skills and Abilities
– User-level word processing, email, and internet skills are required.
– Must be able to provide strict idiomatic translations with minimum oversight, especially with correspondence pertaining to the U.S. President, the U.S. Ambassador, and the King of Morocco.
– Ability to work under short deadlines is required.
When equally qualified, US Citizen EFMs and US Veterans will be given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate address the required qualifications above in the application.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed US Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees must serve in the same position for a period of 52 weeks before being eligible to apply for advertised positions.
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
- Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member, DS-174
- Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
- Any other documentation (e.g. education diplomas, essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
a) By mail to: Human Resources Office
Attention: Vacancy Announcement 12-50
Address: 2 Avenue Mohamed El Fassi (ex-Marrakech), Rabat
b) By e-mail: RecruitmentRabat@state.gov
Important: If your application has been selected for further consideration, you will be
contacted within 3-6 weeks from the closing date of this vacancy announcement for further
testing and/or interview.